04 April, 2011

"First Sight"

Before I saw this piece, I knew I wanted at least one cel from this shot. This appeared on eBay in late 2010 and I spent ages deciding whether to get it. I hesitated not because I didn't think it was a great shot, but because it wasn't the perfect shot. In this shot, Ariel transitions (or "melts") from shock at having seen Eric for the first time to a completely adoring expression.



The reason this shot is technically not "perfect" is because the final shot of her transition is different from the others. While there are about 12 frames showing almost identical expressions to this one, the final piece has her face in full transition, with her pupils dilated, her smile fully formed and her eyebrows properly set. It's also probably the longest cel shown in the whole film, as the lack of character movement is compensated for by zooming in on Ariel.

Still, I loved this piece for its own merits (it's soooo lovely!) and decided to get it. If that other piece surfaces, I can get that one too! This one is itself distinct in the film. On her right hand there is a little ink missing from the line between her middle fingers. That isn't something that has happened since the film, it can also be seen in the movie. None of the other cels around it have this mark, so you can easily see it as the frame ticks by.

The person who sold this to me assured me that I was getting a good deal for it, and that he paid well over $3000 for it. For the price I bought it from him for, I think I paid slightly on the steeper side, as many cels like this have been sold in recent years for between $1000 and $2000. The reason he paid so much for it was that he bought it from a Chuck Jones Gallery, who are notorious for overpricing. Considering he bought it eight years ago, when cels from this movie were nowhere near their highest in popularity, I'd say he definitely paid too much. Then again, each piece is one-of-a-kind, so it's hard to place a set price on this sort of thing in the first place.

This piece cost $2000. Photographic background. Unframed in an ACME cardboard envelope. The authentication seal is in the bottom right corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment